Monday, October 20, 2008

Death of a Luddite

Thanks to repeated urging from my friend Jonny Stranger, a prolific indie filmmaker based in Austin, TX, with whom I had the good fortune of attending a MFA program at NYU way back, I've finally gotten my act together, joined the 21st century and uploaded my first videos to youtube.

Here is a link to Jonny's youtube channel that contains a ton of cool short films he's made over the years, including some very fascinating animation pieces.

http://uk.youtube.com/jonnystranger

It was much more easy than I'd thought it'd be. The tough part was exporting from the Adobe Premiere that I used to edit the short film. It's amazing what these relatively cheap video editing programs on computers can do, considering that I actually learned how to edit by working a Steenbeck.

Before my wife and I moved to HK, several old film archive companies in NYC were paying people $50 to take these old Steenbeck dinosaurs away. Of course, back when I was at NYU, you had to pay about $600 to rent them per month so that you could edit a 16mm workprint.

Anyway, that's enough of my rambling about how we did things back in the day. The bottom line is I have posted two short films on youtube.

Here are the links:

Innocence of Youth (1 minute+)





Somebody's Old Cheese (8 min+) (this film features Jonny Stranger, who by the way is the writer/director of YORICK, an indie feature film that is a prequel to Shakespeare's Hamlet and the upcoming indie feature film MOJO TANGO.



http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl2cTEwih1k


Anyway, I don't know who will ever get to read these entries, but I hope whoever you are will enjoy these.

No comments: